Here is a sewing tutorial for these sweet bunny backpacks I made for my nephews. It is just a simple drawstring backpack, but the bunny ears and tail turn it into the cutest little Easter backpack!
They are a perfect gift bag for Easter goodies. Fill it with Easter goodies, books, and gifts for the perfect Easter Gift for the littles in your life.
- 2 x 14 inch by 16 inch rectangles of main fabric (I used white canvas)
- 4 x ear pieces ( 2 lining and 2 main fabric ) SEE PATTERN DOWNLOAD AT BOTTOM OF THIS POST
- 2 x 3 inch by 3 inch square in main fabric for drawstring loops
- yarn to make pom pom or ready made pom pom
- rope or cord for drawstring
NOTE: I used cotton canvas fabric to make these. My favourite canvas fabric is painters drop cloths! I buy the natural drop cloths like this one from Canadian Tire and bleach them. You end up with lots of great white canvas material perfect for sewing!
1. Cut out all of your fabric pieces.
2. Sew the ear pieces right sides together. Turn right side out and top stitch leaving the bottom unsewn. Fold the sides towards the centre, pin in place and than baste in place.
3. Fold top of bag over twice leaving room for your drawstring cord to fit through. Pin ears in place and stitch along bottom of the fold. This will be the front piece of your backpack.
4. Take your back fabric piece and fold over twice and stitch along bottom of fold to create drawstring casing. Sew on the pom pom tail.
5. Now you will sew the drawstring loops. Fold 3 x 3 inch squares in half and sew. Turn right side out. Pin in place at bottom sides of bag.
6. Put back of bag and front of back right sides together and sew sides and bottom of bag together. Turn right way out.
7. Insert your drawstring cord through one loop and up through the drawstring and down through the other loop. Repeat in other direction going through other side of drawstring casing at the top. Tie knots in the ends of your drawstring.
DIY Pom Pom
Making your own pom poms is easy! Here is a link to a great video tutorial by Sheep & Stitch
Use whatever yarn you have at home and you can wrap the yarn around cardboard, or whatever you find at home that works. I wrapped chunky weight yarn around a potato masher to make mine!
Bunny Ear Pattern
If you make a bunny backpack I would love to see it! Tag me on Instagram @handmadejoydesigns #handmadejoyblog